Thursday 7 June 2007

Pride and Prejiduce,... Is it?

The majority of middle-class people in Iran think of many Arab countries as undeveloped societies with a kind of culture that makes them too slow to do anything productive. Quit a few think Arab people are totally dependent on their countries' petroleum. There is a large group in Iran that still think, Arabs' attack on Iran about 1400 years ago is the main reason for keeping Iran with such a great history, left behind from development. They also feel so offensive when people from other nationalities assume Iranian people as Arabs. I personally don't believe really in the things that I've described above but I should confess that I did not feel good about calling Iranians the part of Arab society either... Now, I think the zone for becoming prejudice is quite close sometimes. Racism is not something that only happened in the 17's century in the US with the content of African-Americans 'skin colors or in the Nazism time . It has been present in any period of history with different modifications of that. Being critical about every society is fine but when criticizing people is based on where they come from then it is not fine. I discovered this fact when I've been objecting the things that I didn't like about here(Tripoli), with saying this sentence occasionally: What can I say, these people are Arabs!!...

picture source

2 comments:

arthemis said...

I have always enjoyed your comments on Mr. Behi's blog, they have shown a lot about you and so does this post :-) Unfortunately, all cultures have a tendency to think that they are superior to the others, but we Iranians have excelled at it... (sigh)

Abadany dar Holland said...

We Iranians don't only discriminate foreigners, we also look down on Iranians that speak with an accent or in a dialect. Still today I see that in my friends when I use an Abadany expression or accent...
The funny thing is that none of us lives in Irans and speaks the language that well.