Monday 23 July 2007

Breaking the Taboo


This person started his talk show named "koole poshti" means backpack in Iran 3 years ago. This program was showing his interviews with people who were famous or expert in some areas. I was never attracted to his show. To me, he seemed kind of fake and was trying so hard to show the audience that he was so cool and unique. I just knew that teenagers included my niece have been his huge fans.

He started again the new series of his talk show this season and I can see in the news and many Persian blogs about his latest jangly interview with the Tehran chief of police force. This interview was broadcasted in one of the main national TV channels and you'd normally expect to see discussions in favor of government's policy so when I saw him questioning and criticizing the recent police force treatment of this kind of women's hijab in the streets -which is a forbidden topic to be discussed in this way- I was quite surprised!

I think this is a good sign and could be considered as a tiny flow of this society's transition river and a little breeze ahead to freedom of speech (finger crossed :). I don't mind if that was the system inside's collusion or some thing that just happened impulsively because of an adventurous taste of the producer of the show or the performer himself. This suggests that things could change. Even moderate changes are so welcome in a world that you should take care of your country from detrimental help of the outside.

If you can understand Farsi or keen to see the related parts in this show, click here and here.

Picture source

4 comments:

Hiva said...

Behi , I am not that optimistic, for me its still a show, to pretent that they are open to discussion. I don't know how these stupid police men can relate the national security of Iran to the way the girls dressed up...

Behdokht said...

Hiva jooni,they do whatever they want in the name of God,Islam and this time "national security".

2020 said...

I wish I understood farsi. Great post.

Palm Pixi Plus Verizon Only Cell Phone with WebOS, Touch Screen said...


Palm Pixi Plus Verizon Only Cell Phone with WebOS, Touch Screen